Saturday, September 26, 2009

Acrylic Process: Sonia Sotomayor

Decided to dust off the ol' acrylics and do a quick painting to show some process.

PREP:
* First I printed out a copy of my graphite drawing from the other day and Matte Mediumed it down onto some Bristol.
PALETTE:
You will need a tray with some sort of lip (I use a butcher tray), paper towel (preferably plain white), tracing paper.
* line tray with a damp paper towel, DO NOT SOAK
* place tracing paper on top, acts as a membrane to keep your acrylics moist
--if you want to return to this palette later you can put the acrylics in the freezer









Step 1: "Dark" cool neutral wash
Step 2: added some warms while wash was still wet








Step 3: Emphasized more warms and blocked in the yellow shirt
Step 4: Applied Skin tone and blocked in the hair more to provide contrast









Step 5: Pushed values in the face to add form
Step 6: Brought up the details










The aim of this painting for me was to keep the darks thin and the lights thick.
If you have any questions feel free to ask!

4 comments:

Alex_M said...

hope you dont mind that I'm following your blog. Im a student at the Art Institute of Las Vegas and im majoring in animation. I pretty much leech off of bloggers to learn as much as possible I can about art and what you have posted on these blogs is gold. Thank you for sharing this stuff, Its motivating and enlightening for an aspiring animator/artist such as myself.

Kendra Melton said...

No problem, the whole point of posting is to help others. :]

Pollock said...

I liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike your blog !!

Karina Gazizova said...

love it!!!